Friday, February 4, 2011

Are you a Tiger Mother?

     I read Amy Chua's essay as published in the Wall Street Journal and I have to say I really like what she has to say about raising a successful child. I know people are all up in arms about this topic but I definitely plan to read her book if for no other reason than to read about a viewpoint other than my own. 
     Although I am no "Tiger Mother", (my child has had many playdates and sleepovers, watches her share of TV,  infrequently plays on the computer, and participates in sports, dance classes and Girl Scouts), I have to admit that almost all of my daughter's major successes and achievements were preceded by a "hard push" from me or another adult. In addition there was and is usually crying and anger prior to reaching the point of success and then always excitement and pride once she achieves the goal I have set for her. Additionally, what I remember from my upbringing is that although my parents did not necessarily push me, I knew very clearly that I was expected to make good grades and that less than an A really was not good enough. 
     If you have not read the article, you should. Once I have read the book and other research I may add a post containing further assessment of this topic. 


Excerpt from "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua - published in the Wall Street Journal
Amy Chua
Chinese Daughters Respond
New York Times Parenting Blog

No comments: